I’m a big fan of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s! His recipes are colourful, inventive and straight forward to follow. Try this tasty, refreshing salad. It’s easy to make and delicious!
From Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s book ‘River Cottage Veg Every Day’
- Serves 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium courgettes (about 400g), sliced into 3mm rounds
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- About 125g French beans, trimmed
- 4 good handfuls of salad leaves
- 12-18 oven-dried tomatoes or semi-dried tomatoes (optional)
- A handful of mint, finely shredded (optional)
- For the tahini dressing
- ½ garlic clove, crushed with a little coarse sea salt
- 2 tbsp light tahini (stir the jar well first)
- Finely grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- Juice of ½ orange
- ½ tsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
To make the tahini dressing, put the crushed garlic into a small bowl with the tahini, lemon zest and juice, orange juice, honey and a grind of black pepper, and stir together well. The dressing may thicken and go grainy or pastey, but don’t worry. Just thin it down by whisking in a little water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you get a creamy, trickling consistency. Finally, gently stir in the olive oil. Taste and add a little more salt and pepper if needed. The dressing is now ready to use.
For the salad, heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a fairly high heat and cook the courgette slices in batches, tossing them occasionally, for a few minutes until tender and browned on both sides, transferring them to a bowl once cooked.
When the courgettes are all cooked, season generously with salt and pepper, add the lemon juice and chilli and toss together well. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Tip in the French beans, return to the boil and blanch for 1 minute. Drain, then dunk in cold water to refresh. Drain again, pat dry with a clean tea towel and toss the beans with the courgettes.
To assemble the salad, spread the salad leaves in a large shallow serving bowl and scatter over the dressed courgettes and beans, tomatoes and shredded mint, if using. Trickle the tahini dressing generously over the whole lot and serve.